It looks like NATO and Obama’s international coalition might have the excuse they need to intervene in Syria and depose Bashar al-Assad and his regime.
From the New York Times on Sunday:
Turkey’s foreign minister said Sunday that his country would discuss the downing of one of its military jets by Syria with its NATO allies next week.
As a NATO member, Turkey could ask for concerted action by the alliance.
“Next week permanent council of NATO will be informed,” the foreign minister Ahmet Davutoglu said in a Twitter message posted Sunday from his official account.
In another posting Sunday, he said Turkey would invoke Article 4 of the NATO treaty, which provides for consultations when a member is attacked. He did not cite the much stronger Article 5, in which an attack on one member is considered an attack on all NATO countries and obliges a concerted response.
Britain has already jumped on the shoot-down to call for action:
Foreign Secretary William Hague today condemned Syria for shooting down of a Turkish fighter jet.
Mr Hague said the “outrageous” act underlined the need for Bashar Assad’s regime to go.
“I am gravely concerned by the Syrian regime’s action in shooting down a Turkish military plane on June 22,” Mr Hague said in a statement.
“When I spoke to Turkish Foreign Minister (Ahmet) Davutoglu on 23 June, he told me that the plane had been shot down without warning.
“This outrageous act underlines how far beyond accepted behavior the Syrian regime has put itself and I condemn it wholeheartedly.
Since Turkey is colluding with the Free Syrian Army and other mercenary groups supported and trained by the CIA, MI6, Mossad and various special forces – and it stands accused ofslaughtering civilians in a false flag it attempted to pin on the government of Syria – this “outrage” is fallacious, to say the least.
- Turkey will consult NATO over shooting down of plane by Syria
- Turkey’s Gul says downing of jet cannot be ignored
- In the back door: Turkey calls on NATO to protect its borders from Syria
- Downed Turkish Jet Will Be Used By West to Draw Turkey Into Bilderberg and NATO’s Plan
- Turkey arrests anti-NATO protesters
- West seeks civil war in Syria to find excuse for intervention
- NATO and Turkey Support Armed Rebels in Syria. Campaign to Recruit Muslim “Freedom Fighters”
- Syria and Turkey’s phantom war
- Foreign intervention in Syria?
- On Those Syrian ‘Protestors’ and Turkey: War Is Coming Soon
- Turkey is ready to invade Syria
- Armed Groups Inside Syria: Prelude to a US-NATO Intervention?